Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Why I will never trust cheap stuff ever again

Here's a story worth sharing.

I ordered a Wii remote to find out that it was a fake. It broke the first time I used it. Keep in mind that it happened around 7:15 PM EST the day I posted this.

A few years ago I gave away a lot of my Wii stuff but I still have 2 working Wii remotes, 2 nunchucks, all my Wii games, and a Wii U.

I also still have my GameCube, Playstation 2, and Nintendo 64 that all still work!

I decided to order 2 more controllers on Amazon.com to get more people to play it, but the ones officially made by Nintendo are around $60 to $80 each. I thought that was ridiculous because I was sort of on a budget after all that Christmas shopping. I was more focused on affording my dreams, like going to Spain.

I checked the Nintendo box and decided to look for cheaper Wii remotes by the same brand, and I found one that came with a Wii remote and a nunchuck for about $20.

I said to myself, "What a deal!" and it got mailed to my house within a few days. My dumbass did not notice it was sold by a third party at all. When I got it, the packaging was weird, but I thought "Meh, it's probably just used or some shit."

I connected the controller to the Wii and it worked well at first. Then I decided to play WarioWare: Smooth Moves with it, and it died within MINUTES. Why did I choose to play WarioWare: Smooth Moves? Because it's my favorite Wii game and it was very innovative for its time.

I then inspected the controller and that's when I noticed it was clearly a Chinese knockoff! It felt very cheap with poor quality plastic and there was no Nintendo label or Wii logo.



Thank god it was cheap, because that means I wasn't ripped off!

I then proceeded to use up all my Amazon gift cards and bought 2 official Nintendo controllers, costing $126 in total.

Lesson learned: These bootleggers are good, so don't be a cheap bastard when it comes to video games. Plus, counterfeit items from China can be bad for your health.

Sources cited:
  • http://www.athens.edu/business-journal/spring-2013/asowder-couterfeit/
  • http://www.amazon.com
  • My personal experience

No comments:

Post a Comment